Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New players got an unfortunately skewed look at how Guild Wars 2 plays.




     Now I don't know whether trial players contributed to the lag, and frankly, that's the least of my concerns. What bothers me is that any trail players who jumped in and participated in the event got an unfortunately skewed look at how Guild Wars 2 plays. They saw clusters of people running around in bands, swirling around very specific NPCs like starving rats on a bread crust. They saw battles that wrote checks the game engine couldn't cash. They suffered disconnect errors, and crippling lag, and unresponsive controls, and aggravating rubber banding like I've never seen before. It was an awful way to represent the experience to a new player.    buy or sell GW2 items


    Lessons Learned
    This grand finale needed to be adapted to the engine better. It can work. And elsewhere, it does. The epic dragon battle in Frost gorge Sound or the ongoing war in the Straits of Devastation are like raid instances, but without the instancing, which means you're liable to find 50 people at a time doing them, and it's all the better with more players. It's spectacular stuff. It's the sort of wonderful pay off that makes me happy I got a character to the level cap. Guild Wars 2 was holding surprises for me, reserving experiences that I wouldn't have seen if I'd never gotten higher than level 70. So few games know how to end, much less how to give a worthwhile pay off. And even fewer massively multi player online games know how to do it.   buy or sell GW2 gold

    Lost Shores was a fascinating experiment, and I hope that ArenaNet learned from it. It didn't work from a technical standpoint when it came time to drive the ancient karka back into his lair, it was a terrible way to present the game to trial players, and a terrible way to conclude a three-day, one-time-only event. Now that we know that, I'm eager to see what ArenaNet's going to do next.

buy or sell Guild Wars 2 gold     cheap C9 gold    MapleStory Mesos 

No comments:

Post a Comment